I’ve had a hard time deciding on what kind of cake I would like for my birthday! There are so many I like…lol. In the end I choose to make a traditional European strawberry cake, similar to what you could find in a bakery.
It turned out pretty lovely and delicious! I was especially proud to have made it, because I’ve been having a lot of shoulder pain and numbness in my arm and hand, which makes everyday tasks very difficult, not to mention doing something that involves even more time. And writing down the recipe just had to wait a little.
I had a wonderful birthday!
The recipe is adapted from Kuchenfeelisa.de and Betty Bossi
Strawberry Cake / Erdbeertorte
- 80 g sugar or honey
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 lemon, only zest
- 4 egg whites
- pinch of salt
- big pinch of baking powder
- 2 tbsp sugar or honey
- 100 g all-purpose unbleached flour
- 40 g melted
-Line the bottom of a 24 cm spring form with parchment paper. Grease and flour the sides. Preheat the oven to 350F/180C.
-Mix together the sugar, egg yolks and lemon zest until creamy.
-Whisk egg whites with the salt and baking powder until stiff peaks form. Add 2 tbsp of sugar and whisk a little more.
-Add the flour alternately with the egg whites, a little at the time and gently fold under the egg yolk mixture. Mix in the melted butter and fill into prepared form.
-Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
-Let cool completely.
- 125 g sugar or honey
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 60 g all-purpose unbleached flour
- 500 ml milk or plant milk like cashew or coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
-In a bowl mix together the sugar, egg yolks and egg, add the flour and mix well.
-In a saucepan bring the milk to a boil. Remove from heat. Add the vanilla.
-Add a few tablespoons of the hot milk to the flour/egg mix and stir well, repeat that 2 times.
-Then add the flour/egg/milk mix to the milk in the saucepan. Keep stirring and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, keep stirring until nice and creamy. Remove from heat. Let cool for a few minutes.
– Add the still warm creme onto the cake. Arrange strawberries onto the cake, I cut them in half to lay onto the creme. Then add the rest of the whole strawberries evenly. This will be a few layers of strawberries.
-Prepare cake glaze according to packing instruction and pour onto strawberries. Use about 100 ml less water to make a thicker glaze. Leave some to brush on the top strawberries to make it look extra shiny. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
-Remove the spring form side, maybe using a knife first to loosen it from the form first.
-Brush warmed jelly around the side, then cover with the toasted almonds.
-Decorate with some pistachios or flowers if desired.
- 1 kg small or medium strawberries, washed and hulled.
- 50 g strawberry jelly, warmed
- 200 g sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- Tortenguss, cake glaze (you can find it in a European deli)
- a few finely chopped pistachios or some flowers for decorating