After some technical difficulties I’m finally able to post this lemon poppyseed loaf cake recipe, I know it’s time to get out all the fall spices but I just really had to share this one!!! I love lemon flavor in baked goods and this cake is just super delicious!
Lemon Poppyseed Loaf Cake
2 cups white spelt flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup honey
1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 cup plain unsweetened yoghurt, (I used plant based)
Juice of 1 large lemon
Zest of 2 large lemons
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup poppy seeds
– Line a 30 cm loaf pan with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
– In a large bowl add all the dry ingredients; flour, baking powder, salt and poppy seeds, mix well.
– In a separate smaller bowl whisk together the oil, honey, yoghurt, vanilla, lemon juice and zest.
– Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix together until well combined.
– Fill into prepared loaf pan.
– Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until tester inserted into centre of cake comes out clean.
– Optional but really tasty: Glaze the still hot cake with a lemon and honey, or lemon and icing sugar glaze.
– Let cool completely before cutting. The lemon flavor will be even more intense the following day.
Starting the new year with a quick and easy recipe…this bundt cake has a lovely lemon and lime flavor I really enjoy! It’s sweetened with honey and I used white spelt flour from our local Arva Flour Mills, which happens to be the oldest, still operating flour mill in Canada!
Lemon & Lime Bundt Cake
125 g butter, soft
125 g creamed honey
2 large eggs
200 g white spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
2 limes, zest and juice
1 large lemon, zest and juice
-Butter and flour a 1 liter bundt form. Preheat oven to 350 F.
-Whisk butter and honey, then add the eggs one at the time. Continue whisking until nice and creamy.
-Add the lemon and lime zest and juice. Stir in the flour and baking powder until well combined.
-Fill into prepared bundt form and bake for about 40 minutes or until tester inserted into centre of cake comes out clean.
-Let cool a bit before removing from bundt form.
-Optional: make a simple lemon and lime glaze, using powdered sugar with lemon and lime juice.