Summer is just around the corner, we already had a few hot days. I’m looking forward to all the seasonal fruit and veggies growing here in Ontario, especially all the delicious berries!
For my birthday, beginning of June, I’ve made the Strawberry-Coconut-Cake: Strawberry-Coconut-Cake
One if my favorite strawberry desserts are these yummy and pretty strawberry tarts. It’s a staple in every bakery in Switzerland, that’s usually what I would pick out!
First you need to prebake the tart shells. I used a mix of ground almonds and shredded coconut to give it a bit of a different taste, it was really good! The cooled tart shells can be filled with custard or just simply with sweetened whipped cream! Topped with Strawberries and glazed with warmed jelly.
For the tart shells:
- 125 g spelt flour
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 50 g butter, cold, cut in little pieces
- 50 g ground almonds
- 40 g shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-Mix flour and salt, add butter and mix like a pie dough until it resembles fine crumbs. Combine with the almonds and coconut. Add the maple syrup, vanilla extract and egg, stir first and then knead only until soft dough forms.
– Let rest in refrigerator for at least one hour.
-Between plastic wrap roll out dough thinly, cut out circles to fit into muffin form.
-Press dough into greased muffin form, prick bottom with a fork.
– Bake in preheated 350 F (convection oven), for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely.
Filling and garnish:
– Fill tarts with a vanilla custard or just simply with whipped cream, I used 1 cup of cream, sweetened with 2-3 tbsp of honey and added 1 tsp of vanilla extract.
-Top with Strawberry halves. Optional step is to brush the berries with a jelly glaze. I used warmed up red currant jelly.
Happy June and stay safe and healthy!