Happy weekend everyone!! I am happy to share my Birthday Cake with you all! The traditional flavors that go in the famous tropical drink are nicely incorporated in this recipe. This was the first time I made dried pineapple flowers. Besides looking gorgeous they are also quite yummy!
Piña Colada Birthday Cake
- 6 large eggs, seperated, egg yolk at room temperature and egg whites cold,
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 tsp almond extract
For the Filling:
- 500 ml whipping cream, 35%, chilled
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut flavored Rum like Bacardi or Malibu
- 1 cup finely cut pineapple pieces
-Line 3 9-inch baking forms with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 F.
-Seperate egg whites from yolks. Add a pinch of salt and baking powder and start whisking until stiff peaks form. Add honey and whisk just until well combined.
-Whisk egg yolks with the almond extract until foamy. Mix in the flour and shredded coconut. Carefully fold in the whipped whites, just until well combined.
-Pour batter into prepared baking forms. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely.
For the Filling:
– In a large bowl whisk the whipping cream until almost stiff, add the vanilla extract and honey then keep whisking until stiff peaks form. Fold in the shredded coconut.
How to assemble the cake:
– Place one cake layer onto a serving plate, brush top evenly with Rum. Spread evenly with about 1/3 cup of whipping cream. Then sprinkle 1/2 cup of pineapple pieces evenly on top. Place second cake layer on top and repeat with Rum, whipping cream and pineapple pieces. Add the third cake layer and brush with some Rum then cover the whole cake with the remaining whipping cream. Refrigerate until ready to se serve. Decorate with pineapple flowers.
How to make the dried pineapple flowers:
– Preheat oven to 200 F. Cut off the outside shell, and do not remove the core. With a sharp knife or mandolin cut about half of the pineapple into thin slices. Use paper towel to dry the slices and removing as much moisture as possible. I used a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place pineapple slices on the prepared sheet and place in the oven for 2 – 3 hours or until fully dried and edges are crisp. While still warm place each pineapple slice into the inside of a muffin tin to create the shape of a flower. Allow the pineapple flowers to completely dry. Decorate the cake with as many flowers as desired.
I hope you give it a try!